the ramblings and musing on this adventure called life

:)

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Toot Toot

I'm sure most of you know about what I've been working on this week.  Soooooo here it is.  An entire entry on my little dresser!

I've been so lucky to "inherit" different pieces of furniture for my new place.  I have been working hard all summer getting all the things I need think I need for my apartment to be just perfect.  I really appreciate all my special gifts.  About a week ago I got this little dresser that I will use in my living room because the space is so large.  Its original purpose was to be an entertainment center but I've since decided it will just be a catch-all.

Wednesday I headed to Home Depot to collect my supplies.  I worked with a lovely woman named Tameka (which is actually in auto-spell on my phone?).  When I told T about my plan she looked at me like I was absolutely crazy.  I brought along my inspiration (which you will see shortly).  We stood there for no less than 30 minutes picking out colors.  I finally settled on "Mariner"...who knew there were 4 million different shades of turquoise.  And a glaze called "tobacco".  And so it begins.


(Quite a beauty...not talking about the dresser)

(Mother told me to pose)


(Yes, these are the only "before" pictures.  I was too eager to get started)

Here are my supplies.  And the inspiration for the piece...my little Anthro urn.


So I sand and sand and sand.  Then I brought the dresser inside because it is close to 5,000 degrees outside.  This is "Mariner" untouched.  Woah...it was bright but the perfect color. 








So of course, every good piece of furniture needs some good hardware.  Am I right?  Obviously.



Clearly, they came from my favorite store.  I just knew the amber would look awesome (possibly righteous) with the turquoise.  Right again.


So here we are with the finished product.  I messed up a drawer so that is what has taken me a little longer.  It was almost a knock down drag out for me and Boosin (Mother).  Surely you find that hard to imagine...but it really felt like the fights we would have when I was trying to learn my spelling words. Oh me lard.

Since you've all been waiting with baited breath.




And because I am a huge nerd...a little staging.



What do you think?  I'm in love.

I don't mean to toot my own horn but...ummm...



Toot toot

1 comment:

  1. beeeefy i'm SO impresssed!!!!!! i'm about to do the same thing for a new piece in the GO! i took some good notes from you:) miss you- too much.

    ReplyDelete